7 Firefox Add Ons For Web Developers

by Colin Cochrane 11/25/2007 5:30:00 PM
Firefox add-ons can be one of the best set of tools a web developer can have but with so many out there it can be hard to decide on which ones are the best for you. I was reluctant to post this at first, given the countless other blogs out their who have posted their own add-on lists, but felt this would be of value for those looking for recommendations that weren't posted 2-3 years ago. I avoided going for the "Top 841 Add Ons Every Web Developer Must Have!!!!" angle, as this isn't a top list. It's simply a list of my personal favourites because, as a guy who's known around the office for having too many add-ons installed for Firefox, I've definitely used a lot of add-ons, some which were fanstastic, and some which left something to be desired. Over time I managed to pare down my pile of add-ons in to a core set that all save me a considerable amount of time, and also share the same basic qualities... [More]

Tags: , ,

Web Development | Web Design | Tools | Firefox

Visual Studio 2008 Initial Impressions - Part One

by Colin Cochrane 11/25/2007 1:00:00 PM
The release of Visual Studio 2008 and the .NET Framework 3.5 this past Monday has created a considerable buzz in the .NET community. With language enhancements such as LINQ (Language Integrated Query) and lambda expressions as well as a plethora of refinements to the IDE itself there are a lot of new tools available at our disposal now. I was very eager to get acquainted with these new tools so I installed a copy of Team Edition and spent almost every free moment this week familiarizing myself with them. Here are some of my initial impressions. [More]

Tags: , ,

ASP.NET | Visual Basic | XML

Reducing Code Bloat - Or How To Cut Your HTML Size In Half

by Colin Cochrane 11/18/2007 8:26:00 PM
When it comes to designing and developing a web site the load time is one consideration that is often ignored, or is an afterthought once the majority of the design and structure is in place. While high-speed internet connections are becoming increasingly common there are still a significant portion of web users out there with 56k connections, and even those with broadband connections aren't guaranteed to have a fast connection to your particular server. Every second that a user has to wait to download your content is increasing the chance of that user deciding to move on. [More]

Tags: , ,

SEO | ASP.NET | HTML | XHTML | Web Development | Web Design | CSS

Disabling Configuration Inheritance For ASP.NET Child Applications

by Colin Cochrane 11/15/2007 8:52:00 AM
Configuration inheritance is a very robust feature of ASP.NET that allows you to set configuration settings in the Web.Config of a parent application and have it automatically be applied to all of its child applications. There are certain situations, however, when there are configuration settings that you don't want to apply to a child application. The usual course of action is to override the setting in question in the child application's web.config file, which is ideal if there are only a handful of settings to deal with. This is less than ideal when there are a significant number of settings that need to be overridden, or when you simply want the child application to be largely independent of its parent. [More]

Tags: , ,

ASP.NET

Google Cracks Down On Sites That Are Losing Importance

by Colin Cochrane 11/12/2007 3:19:00 PM
There has been a lot of controversy in the world of SEO as of late, mostly centering around the PageRank penalties that Google has been handing out to enforce their paid-link policies. The members of the SEO community, who do enjoy to voice their opinion from time to time, increased the size of Google's index by about 2.3% blogging about it (just kidding! I love the SEO community). As more updates to the Toolbar PageRank happened over the weeks, more disgruntled SEOs, webmasters and site owner's came out of the woodwork to express their outrage at Google for decreasing the Toolbar PageRank of their site. For some, however, this outrage is misplaced. [More]

Tags: , ,

SEO | Google

Internet Explorer 7 Did Not Kill XHTML

by Colin Cochrane 11/10/2007 4:25:00 PM
One topic of controversy regarding web standards has been Internet Explorer 7 not supporting the application/xhtml+xml MIME type, which essentially means not supporting true XHTML as specified by the W3C. Of course with this being related to Microsoft there is the expected amount of flak coming from the anti-Microsoft camp. That said, even once you've filtered out the extremes from the discourse, there are still a lot of people who think Internet Explorer 7 killed/is killing XHTML. [More]

Tags: , , , ,

Web Standards | HTML | XHTML | XML | W3C

Three CSS Roll Over Techniques You Might Not Know About

by Colin Cochrane 11/3/2007 2:17:00 PM
When it comes to rollover effects in web design the most common way to accomplish the effect has traditionally been with JavaScript. Here are three CSS techniques that you might not have known about that accomplish the same effect. [More]

Tags: , ,

HTML | XHTML | Web Development | Web Design | CSS

What A Doctype Really Says About Your Markup

by Colin Cochrane 11/3/2007 12:29:00 AM
I have combed through thousands upon thousands of client's HTML documents since I began working in web development, and even more in my career as an SEO. Much of this time is spent fixing invalid markup, shaving off unneeded code, and generally doing what the original developer should have done in the first place. One thing that I quickly realized was that a disturbingly large majority of the sites I came across that were created by "professional" developers and firms seem to have absolutely no idea what a Doctype really is. This is especially true when I see these developers slapping an XHTML Doctype on their pages, somehow thinking that since it is newer it will make them (the developers) look better. As a developer who has actually taken the time to pore through the W3C specifications for the different revisions of HTML and XHTML, I find that practice rather irritating. [More]

Tags: , ,

Web Standards | HTML | XHTML | W3C | Web Development

Powered by BlogEngine.NET 2.5.0.6

All Content and Intellectual Property is under Copyright Protection | Colin Cochrane ©2007

About the author

Colin Cochrane

Colin Cochrane

SEO and ASP.NET Developer.